Hello 2012! It’s hard to believe that a new year has begun once again. 2011 was a roller coaster year for me. Like most of you, my year had its ups and downs. I had some high high-points (traveling to Africa on safari is probably at the TOP) and some low low-points (dealing with my dad’s cancer and preparing him for life in a nursing home would be at the BOTTOM). Still at the close of 2011 I was surrounded by my family and was reminded that
So what things are in store for me this coming year? Hmmm . .. some more highs and lows and plenty of good stuff in the middle I imagine. Here’s a bit of what I do know:
- Sadly my dad had to make the decision to give up his apartment last month and move into a long-term care facility due to complications from his parkinson’s disease. This January will be a tough month for me as I’ll be handling most of the details for the move. On a positive note, he will only be 2 miles from my house so I’ll be able to see him more often and I can sleep easier knowing he’s being well cared for.
- My kids are getting bigger and growing up faster than I ever imagined. My big guy is already a high school sophomore and the little one (who is the tallest in the family) is a high school freshman. My mailbox is no longer just cluttered with just bills and catalogs but rather with college brochures and solicitations for college prep courses. Let the stress of the “thinking about college” begin!
- And speaking of stress . . . my oldest will be getting both his permit and driver’s license in 2012. This is definitely a good thing, right?
- As far as traveling goes . . . you KNOW I’ll be heading somewhere.
So far I have two trips planned. Once this Spring to Savannah, GA to see my cousins and dear college friend Kelly. I’ve never been there and can’t wait! I’m also going on a girls’ getaway to DC this summer. I’ve done the relaxing getaways, the adventurous getaways, and now a big cultural & educational getaway (with plenty of wine involved!). Mark and I will also be vacationing somewhere this summer but I’m not sure where just yet!
- And speaking of my hubby, I am looking forward to our new “date nights” for 2012. Twice a month we will be going out WITHOUT THE KIDS. We will each plan one of the dates and try to keep it fun!
The kids were already told that we will “not be available” to drive them around on our date nights. Now that they’re both in high school it seems fair that “mom and dad” can go out and have some fun too.
- And if I’m going out . . . whether it’s a local date or a fabulous vacation, I imagine my camera will not be too far behind. This of course means there will be plenty of scrapbooking in 2012 too! I am looking forward to spending time with my scrapping buddy Shannon later this month at a weekend crop in Mystic, CT.
Throughout 2012 I look forward to spending a lot of time attempting to catch up on my scrapbooks! I love my scrappy family (you know who you are!!!) and can’t wait to see all of you this year!
- Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, and Christmas took up so much of everyone's time that I haven't had my FIX of female bonding in a couple of months.
I am looking forward to my monthly book group and weekly mah jongg games. Being the only gal in a family of guys, I really look forward to my GIRL TIME!
So that’s my sneak peek into 2012. Dad, kids, hubby, travel, photography, scrapping, friends. Oh yeah, and one more thing . . . blogging. I’ve missed it and look forward to connecting with many of you again this year!