Summer's here and for many of us that means vacation time. While we all love to get-away, the part we usually hate the most is packing! Below are some tips to help you pack more efficiently for your next trip!
Happy Trails everyone! -- Dawn
Sleep. It's one of my favorite things to do. For the past ten months I've dreaded the sound of my alarm clock waking me at 6:30 am every day. I struggled to get up every weekday morning but did so because my kids needed me. (Granted I did hit the snooze button often -- sometimes not rising until closer to 7 am. Hey, I said it was a struggle!) The boys needed to wake up and hit the shower and their own alarm clocks were not enough. NO, they needed MOM to urge them out of their beds and convince them that breakfast really was the most important meal of the day.
The weekends haven't been much better. I usually have the alarm ringing by 7:00 am because there is always "something" that needs to be done early. On any given weekend morning I might be making breakfasts, driving to Sunday School, picking the boys up from someone's house, or simply waiting for another parent to arrive to pick up their kid from a sleep-over. (My boys have sleepovers almost every Friday and Saturday). Yes, the thing I've wanted to do most of all every morning is SLEEP IN and I've been deprived of it since September 2009.
This Saturday everything was supposed to change. My kids left for sleep-away camp so the alarm clock was NOT being set. Knowing this, you'd think that I'd still be in bed at 7 am this morning instead of blogging. So here's the big question: WHY CAN'T I SLEEP WHEN I DON'T HAVE TO WAKE UP???
My eyes popped open at 7:00 am and refused to shut. Have I become so conditioned to this hour that my body won't allow me to sleep later than this? It's so unfair! Now I'm up, parked in front my computer and musing about this very issue. Personally, I find the whole thing quite puzzling and annoying. I tried to crawl back into bed so I could "sleep on it" but . . . WELL, THAT DIDN'T WORK!
Has this happened to anyone else? Anyone out there have the solution? I really, really hope so!
Happy Monday everyone! -- Dawn
This has been an incredibly emotional weekend. Yesterday I said goodbye to my wonderful boys as they headed off to sleep-away camp. This will be their 7th summer away (yes, they've been going off to summer camp since they were very young!). You'd think I wouldn't get emotional on DROP-OFF day since I'm somewhat of a "veteran" camp mom. Still, it's always a little teary to say so long to your kids.
If I'm being completely honest though, I've also been feeling a little guilty. Guilty because, well, along with those tears were some cheers. I'm looking forward to some ME Time this summer. As I gave them huge emotional hugs goodbye , I was also doing a tiny happy dance just thinking about the time I'll have to hang out with my husband and my friends without worrying about pick-ups, drop-offs, planning meals, etc. Is that awful of me???
So today while my kids enjoyed their first full day of "freedom" away from home, hubby and I headed to NYC to enjoy our "freedom" too. We saw Denzel Washington live on Broadway in the drama FENCES which was an intense and incredible play. After we enjoyed a wonderful dinner out in Times Square and now a quiet evening at home.
Definitely feeling more cheers than tears at the moment. Of course what helps the most is the camp's website which posted 8 photos of my boys playing and hanging out with their friends. They are definitely enjoying themselves which has made it much easier for me to do the same!
Hope you all had an amazing weekend! -- Dawn
Sunday Stealing is a blog that "steals" (with credit) all types of memes from all over the blogosphere . They always credit the blogger where they stole it from. Sometimes they tweak the questions. Since their is honor amonst theives, we always tell you how to back-track. In this case, I'm participating in the sunday meme from Sunday Stealing. Link back to us if you'd like to play along!
Today's meme is: The Eighty Meme (Part I)
Cheers to all of us thieves!
1. What curse word do you use the most? SH*T!
2. Do you own an iPod? yes (a little shuffle) and an iphone I can't live without!
3. What person do you talk to on the phone the most? Jen (my best friend)
4. Do you still remember the first person you kissed? absolutely -- B.O.C.
5. Do you remember where you were on 11/9/01? -- running errands in town for Dylan's birthday party!
6. What was the last movie you watched? -- Killers (in theaters) and It's Complicated (tv)
7. Has anyone ever called you lazy? at some point, I'm sure (and they'd be right some of the time too!)
8. Do you ever take medication to help you fall asleep? no, I'm a good sleeper!
9. Has anyone told you a secret this week? no :(
10. What is the first thing you notice about the opposite sex? smile
11. What are you looking forward to? trip to California this summer
12. Do you own any band t-shirts? not anymore
13. What will you be doing in one hour? -- heading to NYC
14. Is anyone in love with you? -- absolutely!
15. Last time you cried? yesterday (when my kids left for camp)
16. Are you on a desktop computer or a laptop? desktop
17. Are you currently wanting any piercings or tattoos? no.
18. Would you ever date anyone covered in tattoos? covered, probably not. One or two, yeah.
19. What were you doing before this? -- paying bills (boo!!!)
20. When is the last time you slept on the floor? So long ago I can't remember!
21. How many hours of sleep do you need to function? at least 7 but do better with 8-9.
22. Do you eat breakfast daily? no (even though I know I should!)
Hope you enjoyed this meme from SUNDAY STEALING! Please leave a comment or link when you have posted. Feel free to stop back and visit other player’s posts. Have a great week. See you next Sunday!
It's FLASHBACK FRIDAY!!! A huge thanks to Christopher and Tia for starting this fun meme! Make sure you visit and link up!
Here's how Flashback Friday works: Grab an old photo, write a little bit about it, and link up! We love love love to invade your personal polaroid history, so don't be shy, and expect a lot of comments starting with "awwwwww". Unless its a sad post, and then... well those might start with "awww" too.
and now without further interruption . . .
My Flashback Friday photos take us back to 1996 -- this year Brett (my first born) came into the world. It's hard to imagine that was 14 years ago -- he came into the world smiling and has never stopped. I was reminded of these photos today because yesterday this little boy graduated from middle school and is now a High School Student. While he is certainly becoming a fine young man, he will always be my little boy and the reason I proudly got the title "MOM."
(his newborn photo -- smiling already!)
(Brett loved rocking horses!)
(he grabbed the TV remote at a few months old and hasn't relinquished it YET!)
AND NOW, NOT A FLASHBACK PHOTO BUT . . . HERE WE ARE AT HIS GRADUATION YESTERDAY!
What are your favorite childhood memories from summertime?